Our eyes are of the most essential organs in our body. We can’t see anything without the eyes. But many people are complaining of eye problems owing to an increase in air pollution. One of the most common eye problems in Conjunctivitis. Also known as Pink Eye, Conjunctivitis, is caused due to inflammation of conjunctiva, a thin transparent layer surrounding the eye ball. It can happen in one or both the eyes.
Conjunctivitis is known as Netrabhishanda or Abhisyandain in Ayurveda. The three doshas – vata, pitta and kapha are responsible for a healthy and fit body. Any imbalance in the doshas can cause health problems. Ayurveda has categorised conjunctivitis in different types as per the doashas:
– Vataja Abhishyanda: Causes pain in the eye
– Pittaja Abhishyanda: Causes burning sensation in the eye
– Kaphaja Abhishyanda: Causes very severe itching in the eye
– Raktaja Abhishyanda: Causes pain, burning sensation, itching in the eye, along with redness.
Conjunctivitis treatment depends a lot on the causes on conjunctivitis. Therefore, let’s first have a look at the main causes of conjunctivitis.
– Bacterial or viral infection
– Air pollution
– Irritation from shampoo, chemicals or cosmetics
– Severe disease like diabetes
When it comes to conjunctivitis treatment, the over the counter medicines provide relief only from the pain. Having said that, Ayurveda provided holistic relief by giving conjunctivitis treatment in a natural way. Below is a list of natural remedies from Ayurveda that help in conjunctivitis treatment, thereby reducing the symptoms and curing the disorder.
– Coriander seeds: Put 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Filter the liquid and apply this water on the closed eyelids. Ensure that the water is lukewarm and not too hot or cold.
– Turmeric: Mix some turmeric in water to make a solution. Take a neat and small piece of cloth and dip it in the turmeric solution. Once it is dried, mop it gently on the affected area of the eye. This will reduce the infection and will help in conjunctivitis treatment.
– Lime juice: Drink one glass of lemon juice before breakfast for an effective jaundice treatment.
– Cilantro leaves: Blend some cilantro leaves with water. Filter this mixture and apply the pulp obtained from the mixture on the closed eyelids for a good conjunctivitis treatment.
These remedies are safe and provide relief from conjunctivitis. However, if the pain persists and symptoms do not go, you must visit a trained practitioner without any delay.